Our son has been in a Britax Boulevard since he was around 1 year of age. He is on the smaller side so he could technically still be using the Boulevard, but at 6 and in First Grade we thought he might like to be in something a little older.
As soon as I mentioned Booster Seat my husband started panicking and asking hundreds of questions. So I began to research the options available. There are a few seats available that have a 5 point harness for children up to 80 lbs.
We decided on the Frontier because we know and trust Britax safety standards. We also liked a lot of the features including:
The seat can be used for children over 100 lbs. as long as the vehicle shoulder belt guide places the belt in the proper position for the child, and the top of the child’s ears are below the top of the head restraint, and the child physically fits in the seat, and is not being used beyond its expiration date (9 years from date of manufacture).
If you are looking for a car seat for a child who is at least 2 and 25 lbs then I would strongly recommend this seat. For a more detailed description of the Frontiers features and for testimonials visit Britax.
I believe that all children should be in a 5-point harness car seat as long as possible. If you have a child who you think is ready for a booster seat and the car seat belt please read this Is My Child Ready for a Booster Seat first.
When we had our first child 6 years ago, we got the Graco infant seat that attaches to the stroller. I didn’t give it a lot of thought as it had a high safety rating and came with the stroller I wanted.
When we had our second child the same Graco infant seat was used for the new baby, but as we now had 2 vehicles and one of us was dropping children off and the other picking up, we really needed another car seat for the baby.
Without any hesitation we purchased the Britax Boulevard. We were already using the seat for her older brother and we were very happy with the features for an older child. To our surprise this seat, that can accomodate a child up to 49 inches and 65 lbs, is able to provide a lot of support for a little girl who wore premmie clothing until she was 10 weeks old. How? There is a removable infant body pillow that helps with positioning infants and provides a truly custom fit.
There are 2 main features that we love about this car seat.
1. Side Impact Protection and
2. No Re-thread Harness Adjustment allows you to adjust the harness height without having to re-thread the harness straps
There is a knobb near the side of the head rest that you turn when you want to raise or lower the harness height. You never have to remove the seat to adjust the harness height.
Our son is almost 6 and has still not outgrown his Boulevard. Our daughter is 4 and she is still in the same seat she used as a newborn. Both seats look like they could last for many more years. They are very easy to install with the latch and the fabric is easy to remove and wash. A seatbelt installation is possible; it just took a little longer for little me.
Here’s a list of the many other features of these great car seats.
– Rear facing until 35 lbs
– Forward facing until 65 lbs or 49 inches tall.
– Energy-Absorbing Base deforms in the event of a crash to absorb impact forces
– Plush, Premium Cover Set with matching belly pad provides extra comfort
– Front Harness Adjuster provides effortless front adjustment when loosening the harness system
– Small Contoured Base ensures a tight installation in all types of vehicles
– Convenient Harness Holders keep harness straps out of the way while placing child in the car seat
– Built-in Lock-Off(s) secure the vehicle seat belt so that the child seat does not move more than one inch side-to-side or front-to-back at the belt path
– HUGS™ (Harness Ultra Guard System) reduces forward head movement and cushions the chest in the event of impact
– Infant Body Pillow for infant positioning and a custom fit
– High Density Comfort Foam provides an extra layer of padding to gently cushion the child
– Energy-Absorbing Foam Liner (EPS) absorbs and distributes crash forces
– Rear and Forward Facing Recline for child comfort and positioning
– Premium, Push-Button Lower LATCH Connectors for a quick, simple, and tight installation
– Patented, Energy-Absorbing Versa-Tether with staged-release tether webbing, anchors the top of the child seat at two points to minimize forward movement in a crash
– Five-Point Harness makes contact with the strongest parts of the body
If you have a newborn, a baby who has outgrown their infant seat or a child who has outgrown their convertible car seat you really should take a look at this seat.
If you are worried about the cost of this seat then I recommend you read the testimonials at the Britax site. We have purchased 4 of these seats over the years and they are worth every penny.
I believe that all children should be in a 5-point harness car seat as long as possible. If you have a child who you think is ready for a booster seat and the car seat belt please read this Is My Child Ready for a Booster Seat
We have a son who just turned 5. As he is in Kindergarten and one of the younger kids in the grade, I thought he might feel a little better if he got to move out of his toddler car seat.
He probably has another 6 months or more before he is too tall for his Britax Boulevard.
My husband who I like to refer to as the worrier, started grilling me about what kind of seat are we going to put him in, will it have Side Impact Protection (SIP) like his current seat and what about a 5 point harness.
Now in all fairness I knew he had a point, but our son is having some self-esteem issues and saying goodbye to the toddler car seat could possibly help.
I was not real comfortable with the boosters, even the ones with the backs, until I found a couple that also offer a 5 point harness. I have been on the fence about what to do for about a week or so.
I just found a seat I think I like and as I was looking for local retailers I came across this You Tube video. To all parents who are unsure about moving your child to a booster or who already have and wonder if it is save, PLEASE watch this video. Your child will thank you.
Anyone who travels or has multiple children in car seats and needs more space this is fantastic. I hated having to take our kids car seats with us on vacation. But there was no way I wanted them in a vehicle without being properly restrained. Yes, I know it is the law in the US, but when traveling in South America that is not always the case. It just never made sense to bring a full size car seat. Now there is an alternative that is safe, and compact in comparison.
The Ride Safer Travel Vest by Safe Traffic System, Inc. is a cool and safe alternative to standard booster seats. The Ride Safer Travel Vest is designed to surround its passenger with energy-absorbing material to protect your child from crash force injuries.
* Meets or exceeds applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. (FMVSS 213)
* Adjustable to fit growing children
* Can be used in all rear seat positions including the center seat (with included tether if lap belt only)
* Improved safety & design over currently available products
* Positions seat belt in front of child
* Portable, compact and easy to use
* Reflective trim for low light conditions
* Made of soft fabric and padding, instead of hard plastics
* Your child can continue to wear it outside of the car
* Repositions lap belt below abdomen, protecting internal organ
* Deformable multi-layered clip for Top Tether System and Shoulder Belt Positioner
We have used ours in the shuttle too and from the airport. It is now being used for our child when he is in the shuttle bus in the afternoon after school. I no longer have to worry about a 5 year old on the bus without a suitable restraint. This is very easy to use and as he can put it on before the bus arrives all that is left to do is thread the seat belt.
The height of the child is important for this restraint as children on the shorter end of the range may find that it sits too high up. We had to wait until our son was a little taller for him to use it.
Follow this link for pictures and to order from one of my online favorites. This is a small business and the two owners are always willing to answer questions and find out more information if needed. Ride Safer Travel Vest