When we had our first child 6 years ago, we got the Graco infant seat that attaches to the stroller. I didn’t give it a lot of thought as it had a high safety rating and came with the stroller I wanted.
When we had our second child the same Graco infant seat was used for the new baby, but as we now had 2 vehicles and one of us was dropping children off and the other picking up, we really needed another car seat for the baby.
Without any hesitation we purchased the Britax Boulevard. We were already using the seat for her older brother and we were very happy with the features for an older child. To our surprise this seat, that can accomodate a child up to 49 inches and 65 lbs, is able to provide a lot of support for a little girl who wore premmie clothing until she was 10 weeks old. How? There is a removable infant body pillow that helps with positioning infants and provides a truly custom fit.
There are 2 main features that we love about this car seat.
1. Side Impact Protection and
2. No Re-thread Harness Adjustment allows you to adjust the harness height without having to re-thread the harness straps
There is a knobb near the side of the head rest that you turn when you want to raise or lower the harness height. You never have to remove the seat to adjust the harness height.
Our son is almost 6 and has still not outgrown his Boulevard. Our daughter is 4 and she is still in the same seat she used as a newborn. Both seats look like they could last for many more years. They are very easy to install with the latch and the fabric is easy to remove and wash. A seatbelt installation is possible; it just took a little longer for little me.
Here’s a list of the many other features of these great car seats.
– Rear facing until 35 lbs
– Forward facing until 65 lbs or 49 inches tall.
– Energy-Absorbing Base deforms in the event of a crash to absorb impact forces
– Plush, Premium Cover Set with matching belly pad provides extra comfort
– Front Harness Adjuster provides effortless front adjustment when loosening the harness system
– Small Contoured Base ensures a tight installation in all types of vehicles
– Convenient Harness Holders keep harness straps out of the way while placing child in the car seat
– Built-in Lock-Off(s) secure the vehicle seat belt so that the child seat does not move more than one inch side-to-side or front-to-back at the belt path
– HUGS™ (Harness Ultra Guard System) reduces forward head movement and cushions the chest in the event of impact
– Infant Body Pillow for infant positioning and a custom fit
– High Density Comfort Foam provides an extra layer of padding to gently cushion the child
– Energy-Absorbing Foam Liner (EPS) absorbs and distributes crash forces
– Rear and Forward Facing Recline for child comfort and positioning
– Premium, Push-Button Lower LATCH Connectors for a quick, simple, and tight installation
– Patented, Energy-Absorbing Versa-Tether with staged-release tether webbing, anchors the top of the child seat at two points to minimize forward movement in a crash
– Five-Point Harness makes contact with the strongest parts of the body
If you have a newborn, a baby who has outgrown their infant seat or a child who has outgrown their convertible car seat you really should take a look at this seat.
If you are worried about the cost of this seat then I recommend you read the testimonials at the Britax site. We have purchased 4 of these seats over the years and they are worth every penny.
I believe that all children should be in a 5-point harness car seat as long as possible. If you have a child who you think is ready for a booster seat and the car seat belt please read this Is My Child Ready for a Booster Seat