Weren’t you pregnant back in ’94?

Yes I was. My son Dylan was stillborn on December 13th 1994…. and this is our story.

It was Easter 1994 when I came home and had to tell my mum that I was pregnant and that she was going to be a Nana (grandmother) at 40.

I was really nervous and was not looking forward to telling her, but I figured I finished High School and went to University and had earned my Bachelors degree, she couldn’t be too mad….right? Boy was I wrong. She was furious and thought I was throwing my life and my education away. (She had a shotgun wedding at 16). Despite my being 21 she was insistent that I have an abortion.

To appease her I agreed to go to counselling (which is mandatory in Australia) to consider terminating. I sat in that office and listened to the lovely lady discuss with me my concerns and that of my family. The one thing I always remember from that meeting was her saying.. “just remember, that no decision is a decision.”
For a few more weeks I weighed my options until one day I replayed that statement in my head. I really wanted kids and there is rarely a perfect time to decide to start a family, so I told my mother that I was going to keep my baby. She was mad at me for a while, but eventually got over it.

For 6 months I saved and bought almost everything I needed to set up my own place and for the baby. I went to all my doctors visits and took my vitamins and did everything I was told to. I didn’t drink, have never smoked, got lots of rest etc. The one undeniable thing was that I was carrying a large baby. Everyone wanted to know when I was due even at 5 months along, so when I had to have an extra ultrasound at 32 weeks to measure the baby again I figured they would tell me I had to have a c-section. I remember the tech saying no the baby measures right he’s just big for your size, again I am thinking c-section and yet it was never discussed. I would see a different doctor at every hospital visit and it just never came up again.
My due date came and went and I was huge, the doctors finally agreed to induce at 42 weeks.

I was so nervous about being induced but I didn’t have to worry, my waters broke before I was due to go to the hospital. It seemed weird to me at first that my waters broke and there were no contractions, but it made it an easier drive to the hospital. As I walked into the labour ward I remember walking up to the desk and having my first contraction hit. For almost 16 hrs I had irregular contractions that were between 1.5 and 6 mins apart. I was in so much pain that I cannot remember a lot of that day. After 3 hrs they agreed to give me happy gas and after 9 hrs I finally got an epidural. The Dr was so annoyed at being called out that he didn’t wait to see if it was in correctly. Sure enough he didn’t listen to me about my scoliosis and all the epidural went down my left leg and only a little down my right. Shortly after the epidural the fetal monitor started going crazy and the midwives were moving me around trying to get a better heart rate. They seemed to visit me more after that and check the fetal monitor. At some point after this I remember there being a request to cut my fingernails which were quite long. My mother started to freak out and wanted to know why they needed to do a c-section, yet the midwives denied it. A while later I remember having ice rubbed on my stomach and being tested for sensitivity to cold, again something to check for to do a c-section without the anaesthesiologist.

Eventually the doctor came to the hospital to do the delivery. It was weird I felt like I was in a TV show, there was a white glow at the end of the room with the doctors and nurses talking and huddled and at that point I was just glad this was going to be over. I was put on oxygen as my hands and feet were blue and for the next 10-15 minutes they worked to get my son out. After the first 2 tries with the suction cap, the doctor told me he may have to break my tail bone to get the baby out… that was a little scary but still it was time.

He was born and they took him away and worked on him for 20 minutes but they couldn’t revive him. The birth canal was too small for him and caused cord compression so severe it cut his neck. He had been in minor fetal distress for hours and he just didn’t have enough oxygen reserves make it once the cord compressed.
I got to take pictures and hold my son in the hospital and then again at the funeral home. It was hard to see him after the autopsy but I knew it was necessary for my piece of mind.

I did not know the true reason for why he died until many years later, when I had medical experts review my charts as part of a legal action I pursued against the doctors and the hospital.

Post to Twitter Post to Facebook Post to StumbleUpon

4 thoughts on “Weren’t you pregnant back in ’94?

  1. wow…thanx for sharing your story. my heart goes out to you. what a thing to go through..I was also pregnant in ’94/95 but i had a happy ending. my son will be 14 tomorrow.

    if you want to tell..what is the true reason for why your son died….and what happened to those doctors…

  2. Wow what a heartbreaking story. There were so many red-flags that it is tragic that the medical professionals did not better serve you and your baby.

    I do hope that through the legal action the gaps that you feel through have been addressed. I feel so greatful that I had the opportunity for continuity of care with the same midwife my entire pregnancy and delivery.

  3. Crystal and Rachael,
    Thank you both for commenting on my story.
    After the autopsy and my independent medical review they determined that my son had been in feotal distress since the epidural was placed. Had I been able to have a C-section he most likely would have survived. When they delivered him vaginally the cord was around his neck and was very long. It became a noose during delivery and he didn’t have any oxygen reserves left.
    Unfortunately the Drs and the hospital didn’t really change much. In 2000 right before I left Australia my grandfather called me to tell me there was a story on TV about the same hospital. I couldn’t believe it. I contacted the same show and appeared a few weeks later to tell my story. In November 2000 the case finally settled 1 week before it was meant to go to court. Had I not had physical injuries from the delivery and care afterwards I would not have had any claim at all as there were no feotal rights in Australia at the time and I doubt that has changed.
    My second child had problems with the epidural and with the third I nearly passed out from it but I had great care in the US and I was able to deliver both vaginally and avoided a c-section.
    Rebecca Doll

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload the CAPTCHA.

CommentLuv badge